Jun 5, 2007

The sponge cake


The way to the man's heart is through his stomach. I was not a believer of this old saying but as my life started moving through the initial irregularities of married life, I thought of checking it out. I should say my initial experiments in kitchen were not highly disastrous but still not worth the word "good". One day I made a pot full of "hot and spicy rasam". Don't go for the name. The rasam was very hot and very spicy that bobs took hours to talk after that dinner. I made a pot full and had to throw it within hours of its birth. This is just one of the many laughed over incidents. As days passed my little fingers started creating magic (as I should say) in the kitchen. In the meantime we bought a microwave oven. I always dreamt of baking cakes and cookies. I love baking. But at home it always turned out to be dark aliens as they came out of the old conventional ovens. Some how those ovens and my mindset did not work. May be communication gap. Then I joined hands with this new microwave oven which helped to turn my cooking to an absolute joy and second love of my life. Started working with the microwave part first. Then I learnt power cooking and grilling. A visit to the nearby super market with a list of ingredients to make a cake was done soon. The cake was ready. The simple sponge cake. Any one needs to make a small sponge cake can use this recipe. It was divine and I directly paved a way one more time to the better half's heart. ;)

All purpose flour (maida) - 1 cup
Butter - 50 gms
Egg- 2
Sugar - 1 cup (powdered)
Baking powder- 1 teaspoon
Vanilla essence - 1/2 teaspoon
Milk (optional)

Mix the flour and baking powder

In a deep vessel,
1) Mix the butter and powdered sugar. Mix it very well.
2) Separate the egg yolks and the whites. Add the egg yolks to the butter mixture and fold in.
3) Add the flour & baking powder slowly and fold in
4) Now beat the egg white until it becomes a thick froth. Add this to the above batter and fold in.
5) Finally add the vanilla essence
U can add some milk to the batter if you feel that it is thick and not falling from the spoon.

Butter a cake vessel and place a butter paper. Pour the cake batter. Preheat the oven to 160 degree and keep the vessel with cake batter for 40 minutes at 140 C. Check the cake in between. :D

No comments: