Jun 24, 2007

The dinner dilemma

Ours is a foodie family. We feel sad and bored when there is not anything good to eat. May God forgive me for saying this. Such was our dinners recently. There were things to eat but it was the same items going round and round. Any curry that I made, had potatoes in it. Soon Bobs found potatoes growing his diameter and went on strike. That was a stroke for me. The carrots and beans alone did not help my curry making. I started trying paneer, peas, and any new vegetable that I can lay my hands on. But still I was missing my first love "potato". We decided to change the menu and go on a very different channel. The solution was salad. The night menu became onions, carrots, capsicums and salad cucumbers, all sliced finely. All these mixed with salt, salad oil and a teaspoonful full of vinegar. We had our dinner joyfully, feeling healthy and refreshed.

But I did not know then that this kind of a dinner was only going to be once in 6 months until I found Bobs rummaging through the fridge at midnight. With a desperate look he asked "my stomach is rumbling, is there anything to put in?". We had a nice laugh and had bread and jam then. Anyway the salad was out of the dinner menu. The potatoes were still in the starchy list so couldn't make its way back to the dinner table.

Now it was again maddening to find something to replace. We tend to forget the foods our moms make. I was trying to recollect some of the her dinner tips and that was when the "kanji, payar and chamandi" idea sprang up. Why not try this native whiff? So the very next day it was a new menu which brought a scent of home faraway from home.

No comments: