Jun 20, 2007

The puttu story


Finally after many trial and errors I got my favourite breakfast item "puttu" in shape. I thought it was going to be a never ending process. Living in a far away place from my native, my heart always crave for indian cuisines. I always kept realizing the fact that one should learn cooking whenever there is free time, otherwise all cravings will have to wait until you find the right things and right ways to do it.

This "puttu" is actually very easy to make, but the secret lies in the amount of water you use to wet the rice flour. Mom used to say "I'm going to make puttu, don't have energy for trying anything else". But when I started trying it I was wondering whether she used the right way to explain the making process of puttu. I meant the word "easy". The very first day I made puttu it came out as a hard to eat, rubbery, cylindrical shaped item which I declared is the new-era puttu.

The puttu maker is a cylindrical shaped utensil with a pot. You have to fill the cylindrical part with the wet rice flour mixed with coconut and then let the steam run through it. But my first puttu couldn't let the steam run in, because of the heavily wet flour, that it became a "dough" and blocked the steam. Oh My God, I only know the how I pushed it out of the container. We ate it reluctantly as I was not at all energetic enough to make a new one. The second time I made it I made sure not to wet the flour much. But this time, steam came out but the flour was not wet enough to cook itself. So what happened. It came out as the flour that went in. Tragedy again and Bobs requested whether I'll stop trying "puttu". Actually I was spoiling his wonderful weekend morning. The request was not accepted. I kept on trying and at the same ignoring his moaning and groaning for a better saturday morning. There were changes every time and one day as the photo says, I got it soft and exactly shaped. Saturday mornings became pleasant again.

No comments: